New York Companies. New York Experience. New York Benefits
New York Transco has partnered with the New York Power Authority (NYPA) to develop innovative electric transmission solutions for delivering offshore wind energy into the New York grid. Building these clean energy pathways will create a more resilient and reliable transmission system while helping achieve critical energy goals.
Visit the Propel NY Energy website – www.PropelNYEnergy.com – for more information.
A Propel NY Energy fact sheet is available for download.
New York Transco and NYPA responded to a request for proposal from the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) to bolster parts of the electric transmission network — the backbone of the electric grid — on Long Island, in New York City and across Westchester County. These upgrades are essential to improving system reliability and resiliency and providing the enhanced transmission capabilities necessary to deliver offshore wind to New York homes and businesses.
Propel NY Energy will achieve vital energy connections to deliver offshore wind energy with carefully routed infrastructure that will avoid and minimize construction impacts while supporting local jobs and economic opportunity by building:
- new and upgraded substations
- new and upgraded underground transmission lines
- New York companies invested in New York communities with benefits and long-term relationships.
- Leverage proven New York energy experience through the New York Transco and NYPA partnership for the design, permitting and construction of these complex projects.
- Upgrade and expand infrastructure to efficiently and effectively deliver clean energy throughout the New York grid.
- Improve resiliency and reliability during blue sky days, stressed system conditions and disruptive events.
- Provide a cleaner, healthier New York by enabling greater transmission of renewable offshore wind energy and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Have minimal impact with careful routing that optimizes public rights-of-way with underground lines.
- Help New York State achieve nation-leading climate change goals by bringing new offshore wind energy to market.
- Increase job opportunities and economic benefits with direct and indirect jobs during construction, operations and maintenance to stimulate positive economic activity.
On October 11, 2021, New York Transco and NYPA submitted Propel NY Energy transmission solutions to the NYISO through its competitive Public Policy Transmission Process, which will select the more efficient or cost-effective solution to address identified transmission needs. Click HERE to read the Propel NY Energy submission press release.
On April 5, 2022, six Propel NY Energy solutions were determined to have satisfied the identified needs to deliver offshore wind generation and are included in the NYISO’s Viability and Sufficiency Assessment. These projects move to the NYISO’s Evaluation and Selection phase.
New York Transco and NYPA are committed to stakeholder engagement and will share information as the NYISO process continues.